Tuesday, March 10, 2009

War story

This happened years ago.

I loved playing Battlefield 2 and had logged hundreds of hours in an attack chopper, but my favorite moment in the game was as commander of the US Marines on Wake Island. The US forces had taken the beach and were fighting hard to get across the bridge to the main island, but the Chinese had tanks and snipers covering it, so the fighting was at a stalemate. I called in artillery on the Chinese position whenever I could, and after one sat-scan I noticed a friendly blip on the Chinese side, among about a dozen red blips; one of my soldiers had swam across and penetrated enemy lines. I thought, "oh well, he's not going to live very long being surrounded like that," so I ordered artillery on that position anyway. Collateral damage, etc.

Next time artillery was ready (a few minutes later), I scanned over and that US soldier was STILL THERE. I got on comm with him and said "how are you still alive? I bombed the crap out of that hill. How many kills do you have?" "I don't know, I lost track," he said. Apparently this guy was sneaking behind enemy lines and killing dozens of enemies, evading tanks, taking medkits from Chinese medics, knifing snipers, and just being a badass Rambo. He had over 20 kills in a game where being on foot means your life expectancy is less than 50 seconds.

I was so blown away; I felt like I had to get him out or at least help him, so I asked the Seahawk pilot to fly over and extract him. Meanwhile I gave him everything I could: flying UAV scans, spotting targets for him. By this time there was probably a whole bunch of pissed-off Chinese hunting for him, but I kept spotting them for him so he'd be ready to shoot. By the time the chopper got there he scored 4 or 5 more kills.

Then a noob J-10 pilot kamikazed his plane into the chopper and blew them up. War sucks.

No comments: